CLICK THE PIC

CLICK THE PIC
AND VISIT MY NEW BLOG!

Monday, May 04, 2009

Celebrity POTUS

No doubt about it, our Potus and First Lady have most definitely become celebrities. I'm not sure I like it, but then again, I'm not sure I don't. It's different. Probably hasn't happened since John F. and Jackie. But, as with any celebrity, there are those who loathe and those who admire. So, what makes someone a celebrity? I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I would think it has something to do with popularity and/or controversy, although there must be an added element since there have been many other presidents who could fit into those two categories. My guess would be that Barack and Michelle represent a younger, progressive America, not to mention they are both "easy on the eye". Of course, there are younger individuals who don't necessarily care for the first couple, but they are a minority. The media has an exceptional talent of picking up on the pulse of the people. If the general public is disintersted, so would the media. Look what happened with Prince Charles and the Royal Family after Princess Di was no longer in the picture. Without her, the interest in the family declined rapidly.

US President Barack Obama (R) and First Lady Michelle Obama (L)
take a walk on the South Lawn upon their return to the White House
from dinner at Citronelle in Washington on May 2, 2009.

This past weekend Barack & Michelle went on a date and the media was all over it. I don't remember such a buzz with George & Laura or even Bill & Hillary. Well, maybe this new celebritism will subside as time goes on, but for some reason I don't believe it will. America, along with many other countries, are fascinated with the first couple. Hopefully, though, it will never reach the levels it did with Princess Di. But, if the paparazzi started showing signs of that, I would also hope that our POTUS would put an abrupt end to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it's because they seem to be really in love? Seems to me we haven't seen such affection in our leaders for a long time.

yorksnbeans said...

That could definitely have something to do with it. They have no problem showing their admiration with each other. It's very humbling.