CLICK THE PIC

CLICK THE PIC
AND VISIT MY NEW BLOG!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Goodbye to Summer

As I opened the back door this morning, autumn welcomed me with a rush of cool air.  No longer was the warmth of the summer morning there to greet me.  I do love the change of seasons, but when one leaves and another enters, it always hits me with a pang of sadness.



Summer, being my favorite season, is a difficult goodbye for me. The careless afternoons spent on the lake become a memory.  But, autumn, once its wrapped itself around me, also brings its own sense of joy along with activities that were tucked away during the summer months.  I love walking in the coolness of an autumn day.  I begin a regular walking regimen, something that I totally abandon during the summer.  When up at the lake, we explore the many parks, waterfalls and hiking trails in the area.  Those hazy, pale blue skies of summer become the bright blue skies of autumn.  The sunsets also become more majestic with brilliant shades of reds and oranges.

As the leaves fall, the raking work-outs begin, putting the summer gardens to bed for the winter and planting the new shrubs to replace ones that didn't survive the heat of the summer.  As Autumn marches on, the holidays become the center of focus and family get-togethers are planned.

Autumn does possess its own unique qualities that I do look forward to, but it's the goodbye to Summer that is always hard to swallow.

What does Autumn mean to you?

12 comments:

dave hambidge said...

I used to love autumn; new academic year in britland, new rugby/hockey season, lots of birthdays in the family etc.

Now I loathe the arrival of the darkness and cold, the fear of catching some final chest infection, the lack of sunlight, the memories of lost relationships and all the heart ache attached.

Plus, I'm 55 tomorrow FFS!

yorksnbeans said...

Oooh! We might just have to do a special post tomorrow! ;-)

linlah said...

The arrival of the new types of pens in stores, shorts and a sweatshirt and all that sad stuff dave said, except the 55 part.

yorksnbeans said...

Luckily we live in the South so the autumn temps are never that bad. I don't like the shorter days much, but the miserable weather doesn't normally get here until December.

nonnie9999 said...

autumn doesn't mean a whole helluva lot in floriduhhhh (we call it hurricane season down here, not fall or autumn). no leaves changing, no gorgeous weather to look forward to, just more of the same. ugh! i hate it here!

autumn was always my favorite season up north. i love the leaves changing and the clean fresh air. it's definitely what i miss most.

yorksnbeans said...

Nons...I feel for you. I don't know how I would do in an area where there were no seasons. So far, though, you've had no serious storm threats this year!! That's a good thing! :-)

Don Mills said...

I like the fall - partly because the young people tend to stay inside their houses more and leave me alone but also for the colours. We have some beautiful forests here and at this time of year it's nice to go for a walk and take a few seasonal snaps.

But, it also means a lot of work. Clearing out flower beds, cleaning eaves, putting away patio furniture and generally getting things ready for winter.

Matty said...

Summer is my favorite time of year. I love warm weather and sunny skies.

Autumn means cooler temperatures, and the slow and steady march towards a c-c-c-c-c-cold winter.
But along the way we are treated to a colorful changeover.

Happy October.

NobblySan said...

Things are changing here in the UK, as Dave says.

I walked out of the house his morning, and there was a definate wintry chill in the air. It was quite refreshing, to be honest; a real change from the damp stuff of late. I live in fairly high ground, and for the past few days we've been almost constantly in low cloud.

However crisp, clear and pleasant it is today though, in three weeks time the clocks will change from British Summer (eh? when did that happen?) Time back to Greenwich Mean Time (also known as 'zulu time', apparently...WTF?), and it will be dark at 6pm.

I wish they'd stop faffing abouit with daylight saving changes. It marks a very real boundary between summer and winte, and tends to leave the whole country feeling gloomy and depressed for a while.

As we all know, that's the government's job to make us feel like that.

Andy Holroyd said...

I too like the summer, but mainly because I hate being cold. Autumn has it's bounty though. Fresh apples and pears locally grown, my birthday (hint 13th Oct), Halloween, Bonfire Night! Then the dismal days, as Nobbly says, leading up to christmas. Traveling to work in the dark, working all day inside and then going home in the dark.

BUT NOT ME THIS YEAR! NAH NAH!

20 working days to go to retirement, and I have 6 days holiday to take. Even so, this October will be the longest month of my life :)

yorksnbeans said...

WOW...what a month for you! Congrats! I will make some notes. ;-)

Anonymous said...

pssst..... I'm the anonymous door poster on October 3. My email doesn't like your email - it keeps bouncing back to me :-(